April babies we're pretty certain you love your birthstone! Diamonds are such a classic and beautiful gemstone that we're pretty sure April babies ask for them every year for birthday gifts! Since we love diamonds just as much as you do we're kicking off diamond month with a weekly diamond series here on the JTV blog. We'll be sharing some of our favorite diamond facts, diamond products and much more!
Before we start our diamond series we would love to hear from y-o-u! What would you like to see? More fun facts? Behind the scenes diamond photos? Some of our top diamond picks or maybe even some of our JTV diamond buyer's picks? Comment below and let us know what you would like to see this month. Have any diamond questions? Ask away!
Since we refuse to leave you hanging we decided to kick off our Diamond Month series with 5 fun diamond facts.
1. Carats describe the actual weight of a stone, not the size. Due to differences in density, some stones weigh more than others, so two stones can both be 1 carat but appear different sizes.
2. A diamond's setting can affect the appearance of color. A white gold or platinum setting will enhance the whiteness of a colorless stone. If the stone has a yellowish tint, a yellow gold setting may help mask the yellow tint, making the stone appear whiter.
3. The beauty of a diamond comes from a combination of fire (rainbow flash from within) and brilliance (burst of sparkling light). Both are a direct result of the cut.
4. Diamonds are cut to maximize the play of light within the stone. If a stone is poorly cut, light is lost through bottom or sides of it, reducing the liveliness and overall beauty of the stone.
5. Cut is more than just the shape or visible form of the diamond; it also refers to the faceting as well as the symmetry, proportion and finish (or "make").
Want more diamond facts? Read all 10 over on the JTV article 10 Quick Diamond Facts.